Balancing your professional and personal life can be challenging, but it’s essential. Here’s how to improve your work-life balance today. Often, work takes precedence over everything else in our lives. Our desire to succeed professionally can push us to set aside our own well-being. Creating a harmonious work-life balance or work-life integration is critical, though, to improve not only our physical, emotional, and mental well-being, but it’s also important for our career.
What is work-life balance, and why is it important?
In short, work-life balance is the state of equilibrium where a person equally prioritizes the demands of one’s career and the demands of one’s personal life. Some of the common reasons that lead to a poor work-life balance include:
- Increased responsibilities at work
- Working longer hours
- Increased responsibilities at home
- Having children
Here are eight ways to create a better work-life balance, as well as how to be a supportive manager.
1. Accept that there is no ‘perfect’ work-life balance.
2. Find a job that you love.
3. Prioritize your health.
4. Don’t be afraid to unplug.
5. Take a vacation.
6. Make time for yourself and your loved ones.
7. Set boundaries and work hours.
8. Set goals and priorities (and stick to them).